This bibliography includes resources that informed the 1999 study, Animating Democracy: The Artistic Imagination as a Force in Civic Dialogue and other resources.
- Breon, Robin. "Show Boat: The Revival, the Racism." The Drama Review, summer 1995, pp. 86-103.
- Carter, Mimi. "Reaching Understanding: In Allentown, Pennsylvania, three partners worked with Pregones Theater Company to help the community cross some cultural barriers." Inside Arts, February/March 1995, pp. 44-46.
- Cless, Downing. "Eco-Theatre, USA: The Grassroots is Greener." The Drama Review, summer 1996, pp. 79-100___.
- Geer, Richard Owen. "Of the People, By the People and For the People: The Field of Community Performance." High Performance, winter 1993, pp. 28-31.
- ___________. "Out of Control in Colquitt: Swamp Gravy Makes Stone Soup." The Drama Review, vol. 40, no. 2, summer 1996, pp. 103-130.
- Langworthy, Douglas. "Inside the Tent: Issues of race, money and vitality of art field four days of discussion at TCG's 11th National Conference." American Theater, September 1996, pp. 17-22.
- O'Quinn, Jim. "Getting Closer to America: Anna Deavere Smith trains an artist's eye on the U.S. presidency and the media." American Theater, October 1996, pp. 18-20.
- Paterson, Douglas L. and Mark Weinberg. "We Are All Theater: An Interview with Augusto Boal." High Performance, summer 1996, pp. 18-23.
- Pearce, Michele. "Dining Out on 'Swamp Gravy.'" American Theater, November 1995, pp. 66-69.
- Porterfield, Donna. "Arts Presenting and the Celebration of a Community's Culture." High Performance, winter 1993.
- Schwarzman, Mat. "Drawing the Line at Place: The Environmental Justice Project." High Performance, summer 1996, pp. 8-12.
- Siegal, Nina. "A Stake in Utopia: Theatre's back-to-the-land movement comes of age in northern California." American Theater, March 1995, pp. 21-23.