Animating Democracy consults with practitioners, funders, and policy makers in areas related to designing, implementing, funding, and assessing arts and civic engagement and social change work. We also conduct research that informs field leaders in their efforts to connect arts and culture to community, civic, and social change.
Examples of past work include:
State of the field national scans:
- history organizations and interpretive public programming models and directions
- youth arts programs employing community-based arts toward youth and neighborhood development goals
- funders supporting arts for community, civic, and social change
Grantmaking program development and assessment:
- planning and design of new funding programs that link arts to community, civic, and social goals
- trustee education through presentation and a field paper to provide a comprehensive view of arts for social change work
- refreshing a grantmaking program for a place-based heritage funding program
- midpoint assessment and recommendations for a new grantmaking initiative linking community arts and neighborhood development including the role of an intermediary
Civic engagement and dialogue:
- design of a city-wide conference bringing together artists, cultural and community organizations, and civic leaders to imagine and inspire integration of arts and civic engagement endeavors
- advisory support to an operating foundation interested in integrating art and artists into community visioning and planning processes
Contact Animating Democracy about ways we can help through consultation, research, and referrals.